Harwich Haven Authority (HHA) was established by Act of Parliament in 1863 to safeguard the best natural haven on the east coast of England.
As the conservancy and pilotage authority, HHA provides services for shipping using the commercial ports of Felixstowe, Ipswich, Harwich International, Harwich Navyard and Mistley and also boarding and landing services for the rivers Thames, Medway, Blackwater, Colne and Crouch.
An extremely impressive 180ft (60m) diameter circular fort built in 1808 to defend the port of Harwich against a Napoleonic invasion. Ten guns sit on the battlements. Eighteen casements below would house 300 troops in siege conditions. Part of the fort is now used as a military museum. Battle re- enactments and other events are held during the summer months. The fort was restored by the Harwich Society as a voluntary project.